Science-- there's something for everyone

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Did ancient hominids bury their dead?

Yesterday, I told you how Homo naledi was discovered. To refresh your memory, check out this picture:


Marina Elliott works in the Rising Star cave near Johannesburg, South Africa. (National Geographic/National Geographic)
Today, we'll discuss why this find was so important.

The very fact that so many bones were found in one place was critical. The six paleontologist spelunkers retrieved over 1500 bone fragments which were later assembled into at least 15 skeletons. That means that the researchers had specimens of different ages and of both genders, an almost unheard of scientific find. This gave anthropologists an unusually accurate picture of what these creatures were like. 

Thus, we know that H. naledi's physical features place it between those found in the genera Australopithecus and Homo.
We don't yet know how old those bones are, which means we can't be sure where H. nelida falls on our family tree. H. nelida seems to be intermediate between Austrolopithecus and Homo, but could have been contemporaneous with most of the species within those genera. Dating the fossils is going to give us critical information on how and when different modern physical traits first appeared. 

Just as importantly, how did those bones find their way into that remote cavity? Consider that although there were so many H. naledi bones in the cave, virtually no other species were found along side them. This was not a lair used by predators, hominid or otherwise, nor was the accumulation of bones due to flooding or other natural causes. There were no marks of damage or scavenging on the bones, so the cave was not the site of a slaughter or feast. And remember that the chamber where the bones were found is extremely hard to access. 


Lead researcher Lee Berger's working hypothesis is that the bodies were deliberately placed in the chamber, most likely by dropping them in from above. We have a name for procedures like this: it's called 'burial', and it's not an activity we would have associated with creatures that had brains the size of gorillas. 


Berger and the other researchers are continuing to study the fossils. Many more interesting conclusions are sure to come out of this amazing find. You can find some great photographs as well as an artist's rendition of the creatures giving a dead relative the old heave-ho in the National Geographic story by Jamie Shreeve. 







Berger, L., Hawks, J., de Ruiter, D., Churchill, S., Schmid, P., Delezene, L., Kivell, T., Garvin, H., Williams, S., DeSilva, J.... (2015) , a new species of the genus from the Dinaledi Chamber, South Africa . eLife. DOI: 10.7554/eLife.09560  

12 comments:

  1. Awesome article! Thank you for this article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Live Testimony HIV is cureable: I am greatful to Dr Ojoka ,the powerful herbal healer that rescue me from HIV/AIDS and HERPES. I was diagnosed of these disease since 2012 and because of this, i was very unhappy with my life and i went into research on how i can get cured and i saw a testimony of a lady on how she was cured from HERPES by Dr Ojoka, i decided to give him a try and when i contact him, he assure me that he will help me and send me the cure and i believed in him because all i wanted was to be cured, so he prepared a herbal cure for me and send it to me through DHL and gave me instructions on how to use it and after one week i should go to hospital for checkup and after one week of using the herbal medicine, i went to the hospital for test and to my surprise the test stated that i am HIV/AIDS with HERPES negative and i am fully cured from the diseases. This gladdens my heart and everybody in the hospital was surprised even the Medical Doctor, So viewers Dr OJOKA is a God Gifted man and he can cure so many diseases like HIV/AIDS, HERPES,CANCER of all kind, PILE, KIDNEY PROBLEM, SYPHILIS, DIABETES, HSV1&2, HPV and lot's more. You can contact him through his email: DR.OJOKAROOTANDHERBAL@GMAIL.COM or call and whatsapp him on +2348144172934. I will continue to share this great testimony on the internet and all over the world for the good job Dr Ojoka has done for me.  













































































































      Live Testimony HIV is cureable: I am greatful to Dr Ojoka ,the powerful herbal healer that rescue me from HIV/AIDS and HERPES. I was diagnosed of these disease since 2012 and because of this, i was very unhappy with my life and i went into research on how i can get cured and i saw a testimony of a lady on how she was cured from HERPES by Dr Ojoka, i decided to give him a try and when i contact him, he assure me that he will help me and send me the cure and i believed in him because all i wanted was to be cured, so he prepared a herbal cure for me and send it to me through DHL and gave me instructions on how to use it and after one week i should go to hospital for checkup and after one week of using the herbal medicine, i went to the hospital for test and to my surprise the test stated that i am HIV/AIDS with HERPES negative and i am fully cured from the diseases. This gladdens my heart and everybody in the hospital was surprised even the Medical Doctor, So viewers Dr OJOKA is a God Gifted man and he can cure so many diseases like HIV/AIDS, HERPES,CANCER of all kind, PILE, KIDNEY PROBLEM, SYPHILIS, DIABETES, HSV1&2, HPV and lot's more. You can contact him through his email: DR.OJOKAROOTANDHERBAL@GMAIL.COM or call and whatsapp him on +2348144172934. I will continue to share this great testimony on the internet and all over the world for the good job Dr Ojoka has done for me.  

      Delete
  2. Astrologer GURUJI NAVGRAHA is the best for all kind of Problem Like- Business problem solutions... Get jobs.. Love Problem, Love Marriage Problem, Parents Approval for Love Marriage, Family Problem, Business Problem,Black Magic Husband wife love problem, Divorce problem,reunite your ex partner back to you, Lost love back etc.GURUJ have many year Experience in this field so you don't need to worry just contact and get solution for your problem,Astrologer(GURUJI NAVGRAHA) is the one of the Famous Astrologer Across India who is able to solve all the
    problems which are related to your Horoscope, Kundali and Tanttrik Vidhi. If you are suffering with any type of problem then you should contact to an Astrologer GURUJI NAVGRAHA
    Email: casterspell481@gmail.com
    Whatsap: +919108256518

    ReplyDelete
  3. Need A Free Background Check? Use
    Intelligater.com To Do A Background Check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been cured through Dr Utu African Traditional roots and herbs.
    Why so many people don't succeed in better health is because they have the belief that herbal medicines are primitive and outdated they took time ⌚ in thinking and having much doubt in herbs that can actually better their health naturally. Do you know that thinking and doubting won't solve your health problems?yes of course it won't solve it All you've to do is to stand up again and make the best move in your life. African herbs cures HIV, HSV, CANCERS, INFERTILITY, ASTHMA, PARALYSIS, DIABETES Try a reliable herbalist like Dr Utu and tell him your symptoms and feelings on;
    drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    CALLING +2347032718477
    WHATSAPP LINE +2347032718477

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words alone is not enough to describe how grateful and happy I am 🙏.my name is TAMMY DORRIS DUFUT am from Belgium. I have been suffering from HERPES $ HYPERTIS B for 9years,until I came across Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME who heals me through his powerful traditional African herbs. I was scared at first as I was been scam earlier but I gave it a trial and I was completely heal.. I promise to let the whole world know about this great herbal doctor who helps in changing my life for the better.. you can contact him for all kind of sickness and diseases. God bless you Dr.Chukwu madu herbal home for your powerful hand of healing upon my life 🙌💪... Contact him today: dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com. 
    WhatsApp +2347030936239

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app orCall him: +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I NEED MY EX BACK DESPERATELY CALL DR LARRY FOR URGENT AND FAST HELP: +1(424)-261-8520

    i want to tell the world about the great and mighty spell caster called Dr Larry my husband was cheating on me and no longer committed to me and our kids when i asked him what the problem was he told me he has fell out of love for me and wanted a divorce i was so heart broken i cried all day and night but he left home i was looking for something online when i saw an article how the great and powerful Dr Larry have helped so many in similar situation like mine he's email address was there so i sent him an email telling him about my problem he told me he shall return back to me within 24hrs i did everything he asked me to do the next day to my greatest surprise my husband came back home and was crying and begging for me to forgive and accept him back he can also help you

    CONTACT HIM:
    EMAIL:assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +1(424)-261-8520
    https://assurancesolutiohome.blogspot.com
    http://assurancesolutioncenter.website2.me/

    ReplyDelete