Science-- there's something for everyone

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Just for fun: Bleeding mushrooms

For your Halloween viewing pleasure, mushrooms that ooze blood.

Bleeding Tooth Fungus

Photo: Darvin DeShazer
Okay, that's not really blood. The Bleeding Tooth Fungus (Hydnellum peckii) leaks red, pink, yellow or orange fluid.
Good news, the mushrooms are not poisonous, though they are considered inedible due to their bad taste. Too bad. Doesn't this look delicious?
File:Hydnellum peckii2.jpg
Photo: Bernypisa, 8/17/2005
More on this at Environmental graffiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment